Thursday 7 January 2016

Fall For Anything

-Courtney Summers

"Now it's like I'm looking for answers to a stranger's death and I couldn't tell anyone why it's so important to me because this stranger didn't do anything for me. He never showed himself to me-- this tortured artist, who hated being here so much, who could find no good in anything. He just left, killed himself, and ruined everything. So why should I care? Why?" -Quote taken from the book.

Maybe I've mentioned this before, maybe I haven't, but either way, I'm mentioning it now. Courtney Summers is a Canadian YA author who gets teen angst like no one else. She gets down to the nitty-gritty bits of being a teenage girl and dealing with uncomfortable issues and heartbreaking situations. She's a genius with words and one of my all time favourite authors. That is why, for the rest of January in celebration of my birthday month, I will write a review of every single one of her books that I have had the pleasure of reading.

Summer's has a gift at making her writing seem poetic without the over the top rhyming and the loss of relatable aspects to her stories. As a reader, you feel the character's erratic heartbeat during the most intense parts of the novels, you hear their heartbreak once everything reaches its eventual crescendo, you smell their fear when life finally catches up.

Fall For Anything is the story of a young girl barely entering high school dealing with her father's suicide and the predatory advances of his young apprentice hiding behind the mask of a "caring stranger".
We are introduced not so much to a coming of age story, but a coming to terms story. We are allowed the honour of traveling with Eddie Reeve through her quest that only results in her developing questions to which there are no answers. We are allowed to be a part of Eddie's realization that sometimes a lack of answers although unsatisfactory is okay, that it is okay to get angry and to grieve. With Eddie, we learn that sometime's all we have in life are, "okay's".

So, my advice to you, dear readers, is to go to your nearest bookstore or get on Amazon and get yourself a copy of one (or all) of her books. Don't believe me? Have a look for yourself, or wait until my other reviews go up. But one thing's for sure, this one definitely has a way with words, and just like all of Summer's previously and currently published work, this book most certainly hit close to home.

Read the book yourself, form your own opinions, tell me what you think, and remember, make some tea, grab a blanket, and keep warm and read.

* If you're even more curious about Courtney Summers, check out her lovely tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment